Friday, September 30, 2011

Intro: Why I'm not a soccer mom (just sayin)

I live in suburbia. We live on a street with a 2 to 1 ratio of dogs versus cats. Every second house has at least on SUV or minivan. There is a school at the end of our street, 3 daycares on our street alone (at least 5 more within a 3 block radius) and an awful lot of sweatpant and Ugg wearing moms (with artful caramel/beach coloured highlights).
Don't get me wrong, I love our house, our neighbours (except maybe shirtless old guy on a bike) and our area. Sometimes I think that despite the husband,kid and dog combo that live with me maybe I don't quite fit in with "the norm". I tend to keep to myself, sport crayola inspired hair colours, I like reading and keeping up with world events and I want to make my corner of the world a better place (and tidier too). I cringe when in the company of the Competative Mom who gives you a look of horror should your delightful child not be reading/writing/composing light operettas/performing complex algabreic equations shortly after birth. I'm even more of an anomaly as I don't work outside the home and stay home with my littlest best buddy, my daughter. For the record, I don't care if you stay home or work or whatever as long as you are the best parent you can be. We all have good days, gross days, rough days, and awesome days. I think that the world could start to be a better place if we moms could be a lot nicer to each other, not judge each other (and each other's kids) and just accept that life happens to all of us. I cringe when I think of my daughter having to deal with Girl Shit because Girl Shit is the worst (and something that lasts long after the playground days are over). I think she will be okay though because she is a lot more outgoing than I ever was, smart and frankly she is freaking adorable.
I am lucky. I live with a man who loves me despite working our way through most of the marriage vows already, a neurotic but loving and sweet dog and the funniest,sunniest kid I know. My family drives me crazy but they are supportive beyond the call of duty and I have some pretty spectacular friends to lean on and adore.
This blog will be all over the place in terms of topics. I can't help it. I've always been a 3am thinker (some of my biggest ideas happen at the oddest times) and a dreamer. The world makes me wonder, pop culture seaps all over my world and I hope that you can laugh and wonder with me. Be happy, j

No comments:

Post a Comment